Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Living Without the Cell

Have you ever thought about tossing your cell phone into a drawer for a week just to see if you can function without it? The answer is probably no since so many people do so many things with their phones. The advertising should say, "oh by the way you can also make a call on this thing too." It's suddenly the least important function of today's phones. People are so busy googling, sending videos, texting and checking email they hardly have time to actually call anyone anymore. All the more reason to toss the thing into a closet and forget about it for a week. What would you do? Would you resort to actually meeting with people in person. An interesting concept but dangerous since you actually have to think about what you say when the guy is right there in front of you.

I did something odd the other day, I wrote a letter. That's where you take a piece of paper and a pen and write actual words onto the paper that someone else gets to read in a few days. The concept is lost on most people under 35 years old. Receiving a letter creates a real connection between people especially if it's written out and not typed on a key board.

I received an evite to a holiday party recently and decided not to go because the whole thing was so impersonal. Silly, I know but that's how I feel. You mean to say someone couldn't have taken the time to write out a few invitations and put them in the mail. Next year I'll probably get a letter from that person asking me not to come to their party. I'll text them this message, "Thanks, I'll be there."

1 comment:

  1. Nice post, Tony. Letters seem to be a lost art. I tried to lead by example when I send my niece and nephew thank you notes following the holidays.

    ReplyDelete