Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Mom Was Right

I always thought the advice I got from my Dad through the years was pretty good. Most of the time he was right. He told me I should learn a trade so I learned the barber business and used it to supplement my income during my early years in broadcasting. He advised me to change the oil in my car every 3000 miles so it wouldn't wear out. He was right about that too. But it was my mother who gave me the spiritual advice I needed most. She was the one who told me to look within myself before blaming anyone else for my problems. She was the one who taught me the daily prayer, "This is the day the Lord hath made, I shall rejoice and be glad in it." She was always the one who told me the straight truth. I remember the first time she saw me on television. She had flown out from the east coast to visit me in Seattle. I went on the air for the 5, 6 and 11 o'clock news and when I got home at midnight she was still awake. She looked at me and said, "Dear, don't wear a brown jacket anymore you look better in navy blue." The next day I donated my brown jacket to Goodwill.

My mom passed away this last Christmas night and in her memory I put here in the sub title of my book, "Smile In The Mirror." The sub title is Dad was Right and So Was Mom.

On this Mothers Day do something memorable for your mom instead of just showing up for dinner. I leave you now with one of my favorite mom quotes. "A mother is someone who notices four pieces of pie for the five people around the table and suddenly decides she doesn't like pie."

No comments:

Post a Comment