Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Running for Office

I'm running for public office.
I've given a lot of thought to why I’m running for Newcastle City Council. It goes back a few decades to when my father Tony Ventrella Sr. ran for an office called “Constable” in my home town of Wilton, Conn. Dad was a barber with less than a high school education but a vast knowledge not only of national and local issues but of the wants and needs of people in his own community. My town was so small we had one police officer and he was on loan from the state of Connecticut. To fill the gap the town council created positions for four “constables” who would serve the public in various ways. My Dad performed such duties as serving subpoenas, directing traffic in construction zones and parking cars for town sponsored events. He loved people and was proud to work for the town. I feel the same way. “As Newcastle grows and welcomes new residents and businesses I want to be involved in its vision for the future.” To succeed as an individual, a family, a business or a small city you need a vision, a plan of action, a step by step climb into the future. I believe that “real political leadership can only emerge in a crisis.” I also believe that with every crisis comes opportunity. We are in a fiscal crisis in America that effects every one of us in big cities and small towns. We can only emerge from it by working together, unselfishly and without ego. I look forward to meeting every voter in Newcastle and because I have two ears and one mouth, I’ll listen twice as much as I talk. I look forward to serving my community.

No comments:

Post a Comment