Monday, June 1, 2009

Quiet I Can't Hear the Music

Growing up in the 1950s I had plenty of opportunities to listen to disc jockeys fill time between songs. When Cousin Brucie or Dandy Dan Ingraham made a funny remark in between Elvis or Beatles songs that constituted "talk radio." For me and my generation it was all the talk radio we needed. I still listen to Cousin Brucie on Satalitte radio and he still makes more sense than any of the "talk" people I mistakenly tune in to today.

How much talk is too much talk? That's an open question of course and the answer is si9mple. When I get tired of hearing about the same topic I change the station.

In my home market, Seattle a lot of people are changinbg the station these days. They're changing to music and away from talk. In times like these I guess people feel more comfortable not hearing about "times like these." Music soothes the soul, settles the nerves, evokes the emotions. Talk too often has the opposite result.

I tuned out of talk radio about ten seconds after the last election. I love the new president but I'm sure I'll disagree with some of things he does in the next three years. I'll disagree on my own however, not with any prompting from Rush or anyone else.

So what about sports talk radio you ask? There's too much of that too. Two hours before the game starts I do not need to listen to "expert" anlayists tell me why one team will win and the other will lose. And when the game is over, I'm done, let me go on with my life. Please don't bore me with post game analysis let alone sound bites that don't change from week to week.

Good luck to all the radio talk show folks out there. I know you work hard and I wish you the best, just don't talk me anymore it distracts me from the music I'm trying to listen too.

No comments:

Post a Comment