Monday, July 26, 2010

Slip N Slide

What a day for a Slip N Slide. As a grown up I'd like to proclaim every day over 80 degrees to be Slip N Slide day. Adults don't run through the sprinkler enough on hot days. Adults don't eat enough marshmellows, chew enough "Big League Chew" bubble gum, especially the grape flavor. Adults are too mired in their own little worlds to take the time to run bare foot across the lawn with only half their clothes on. Little kids do it all the time and look how happy they are until some adult tells them to wipe that smile off their face.

As a kid I used to hit rocks into the woods with a baseball bat. I made believe I was every great Yankee hitters. I was Ruth, gehrig, Dimaggio, Mantle and Maris. I hit some monster home runs deep into the trees on Newsome Lane in Wilton, Conn. where I lived in the 1950s. I was in my own little world when I was hitting rocks. I also called play by play of every hit which convinced the neighbors that I had more than one loose screw in my mental mechanism.

Boy I showed them. I'm a grown up now and I still hit rocks, so there. I still make believe I'm Ruth, Gehrig or Dimaggio too becuase I can't bring myself to believe the over paid players of today would spend their time hitting rocks into the woods.

Good thing I don't live in Chicago. Some northside Cubs fan would probably throw the rocks back at me from behind a tree.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Tony, I enjoyed the talk that you gave to the King County Democrats. You put everything in a positive perspective. You are always welcome to check out my blog at www.mvbarer.blogspot.com or click the link to my name. Always good to see you,
    Mike

    ReplyDelete